Take 10 minutes to:
- Read title, subtitle and jacket summary.
- Identify author or source, and date of publication or copyright.
- Skim the Table of Contents.
- Examine Index for relevant references.
- Read the Preface, Forward, Introduction and Conclusions.
- Review pictures, captions, charts, maps, graphics, bold headings, summaries, sidebars, exercises and study questions.
- Read a paragraph to judge writing style.
- Overall picture. Review what you’ve learned and make your decision:" To read or not to read. "
(from the Smart Reading booklet )