How to Public Speaking (via A Show with Ze Frank)
Wear pants. Your own pants!
Take it seriously.
Don’t imagine the audience is naked… 🙂
I. To think about when creating the talk
- Don’t be a “douchebag”.
- Find a format that is an extension of you… e.g. Speak about origami in the “style of origami”
- Write an “honesty talk” with all the things you’re affraid and unsure of… it’ll often remind you of what you’re sure of and to say things simply and honestly .
- If you struggle to fin a point… maybe you don’t have one. (and it’s ok)
II. Preparing for your talk
- Don’t read!
- See what excites you in your day-to-day life, and bottle it up to release it on stage.
- Practice. Do your entire talk out loud in an empty room, without stopping! (x 3)
III. When it’s time to get on stage
- It’s ok to feel a bit strange, and charged, and afraid, and uncomfortable.
- Sometimes we confuse excitement with anxiety .
- Use your “temperature” before going on stage as your baseline, as what’s normal.
- If don’t know how to start, just look out at everyone, smile and say “Hi”.
- Don’t pause after you tell a joke.
- If people start to laugh or clap loudly, start speaking again right after the peak. Think of it as surfing .
- If you make a mistake, don’t point it out or dwell on it. Just keep moving.
- If you see someone in the audience that looks like they hate you to death, avoid looking at them!
- If you need inspiration, watch a video of Spalding Gray .
- You’ll do great!
( Source: https://www.youtube.com/ )