🔗 PRQL - Pipelined Relational Query Language

PRQL Pipelined Relational Query Language, pronounced “Prequel” PRQL is a modern language for transforming data — a simple, powerful, pipelined SQL replacement For example, “Top N by group”: from employees group role ( sort join_date take 1 ) WITH table_0 AS ( SELECT *, ROW_NUMBER() OVER ( PARTITION BY role ORDER BY join_date ) AS _expr_0 FROM employees ) SELECT * FROM table_0 WHERE _expr_0 <= 1

October 26, 2023 · 1 min · 67 words

🔗 Leporello.js

Leporello.js · Interactive functional programming IDE for JavaScript Your code is executed instantly as you type, with the results displayed next to it. No need to set breakpoints for debugging. Just move the cursor to any line and see what’s happening. Reminds me of some of the concepts from Inventing on Principle by Bret Victor.

October 3, 2023 · 1 min · 55 words

🔗 Google Style Guides

Google Style Guides This project (google/styleguide) links to the style guidelines we use for Google code. AngularJS Style Guide Common Lisp Style Guide C++ Style Guide C# Style Guide Go Style Guide HTML/CSS Style Guide JavaScript Style Guide Java Style Guide Objective-C Style Guide Python Style Guide R Style Guide Shell Style Guide Swift Style Guide TypeScript Style Guide Vim script Style Guide

September 17, 2023 · 1 min · 63 words

🔗 PNGme: An Intermediate Rust Project

Introduction - PNGme: An Intermediate Rust Project This guide is intended to fill the gap between heavily directed beginner tutorials and working on your own projects. The primary goal here is to get you writing code. The secondary goal is to get you reading documentation. If you haven’t read The Rust Programming Language yet, I highly encourage you to do so before attempting this project. This guide does not cover any language features....

September 7, 2023 · 1 min · 73 words
on the left, red switch with a 1 on top, a 0 on the bottom, and turned to the 1 position + on the right a coaxial selector with the input on the bottom, an A and B position of top, and the central nob set to the A position

💭 Mental model for Booleans vs Enumerates

In programming, Booleans and Enumerates are common data types to represent the concept of “choice”. When there are several things to choose from, the Enumerate is the only one to support it, so that’s clear. But what about when you have two things to choose from? There might be some confusion between both data types since either of them supports handling binary choices. The confusion arrises in particular when you want to add the choice of a new behaviour, on top of an existing one....

May 15, 2023 · 2 min · 352 words

💭 PHP shenanigans

Pop quiz about PHP and something we’ve stumbled upon last week, while working on a client’s codebase. ...

April 15, 2019 · 2 min · 294 words

💭 Scala Enumerations Summary

Comparison between different ways of doing enumerates, with scala.Enumeration, case object and Java’s Enum.

May 14, 2017 · 9 min · 1882 words

🔗 Learn Ruby with the Neo Ruby Koans

Learn Ruby with the Neo Ruby Koans Great way to lean Ruby by fixing errors in set of well thought of unit tests.

May 13, 2015 · 1 min · 23 words

🏞 HSL Color

With practice, this new mental map of color will become instinctive: you’ll likely find that it is much easier to create and manipulate color specified in HSL in your stylesheet code than hex or RGB. See also Three Ways You Should Be Using HSL Color In Your Site Today.

January 2, 2015 · 1 min · 49 words

🔗 Learn X in Y Minutes: Scenic Programming Language Tours

Learn X in Y Minutes: Scenic Programming Language Tours Learn X in Y minutes : Take a whirlwind tour of your next favorite language. Community-driven!

October 24, 2014 · 1 min · 25 words

📜 for each desired change, make the change easy (warning: this may be

for each desired change, make the change easy (warning: this may be hard), then make the easy change. Kent Beck

July 3, 2014 · 1 min · 20 words

🏞 (image)

(via What’s wrong with this picture? | Code.org ) Computer science is a top paying college degree and computer programming jobs are growing at 2x the national average . Less than 2.4% of college students graduate with a degree in computer science. And the numbers have dropped since last decade. See also Promote Computer Science | Code.org

March 27, 2014 · 1 min · 57 words

🔗 Type-System Criteria · ongoing by Tim Bray

Type-System Criteria · ongoing by Tim Bray Cri­te­ria Let’s call them the Bánffy-Bray cri­te­ria for se­lect­ing be­tween sta­tic and dy­namic type sys­tems. Sta­tic typ­ing’s at­trac­tive­ness is a di­rect func­tion (and dy­namic typ­ing’s an in­verse func­tion) of API sur­face size. Dy­namic typ­ing’s at­trac­tive­ness is a di­rect func­tion (and sta­tic typ­ing’s an in­verse func­tion) of unit test­ing work­a­bil­ity.

January 24, 2014 · 1 min · 56 words

📋 Learn to Code

Online interactive resources to learn programming: Learn | Code.org — Beginners (concepts), HTML/CSS, JavaScript, Python, Codecademy — HTML/CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, PHP, Python, Ruby Learn Code The Hard Way — Python, Ruby, C, SQL, Regex, CLI Try Ruby: learn the basics of the Ruby language in your browser

January 16, 2014 · 1 min · 47 words

🏞 (image)

This brings us to the magical three step process for becoming an expert at anything: Watch someone Try it yourself and experiment Teach someone else (via Programming Your Brain: The Art of Learning in Three Steps | BitNative ) See also another image representation:

December 17, 2013 · 1 min · 44 words

📜 When I left Sun to go to NeXT, I thought Objective-C was the coolest

When I left Sun to go to NeXT, I thought Objective-C was the coolest thing since sliced bread, and I hated C++. So, naturally when I stayed to start the (eventually) Java project, Obj-C had a big influence. James Gosling, being much older than I was, he had lots of experience with SmallTalk and Simula68, which we also borrowed from liberally. Patrick Naughton (in Java Was Strongly Influenced by Objective-C )...

November 11, 2013 · 1 min · 82 words

🏞 (image)

A programmer takes between 10-15 minutes to start editing code after resuming work from an interruption. When interrupted during an edit of a method, only 10% of times did a programmer resume work in less than a minute. A programmer is likely to get just one uninterrupted 2-hour session in a day (via Programmer Interrupted )

November 6, 2013 · 1 min · 56 words

🔗 97 Things Every Programmer Should Know – Contributions Appearing in the Book

97 Things Every Programmer Should Know – Contributions Appearing in the Book Act with Prudence by Seb Rose Apply Functional Programming Principles by Edward Garson Ask “What Would the User Do?” (You Are not the User) by Giles Colborne Automate Your Coding Standard by Filip van Laenen Beauty Is in Simplicity by Jørn Ølmheim Before You Refactor by Rajith Attapattu Beware the Share by Udi Dahan The Boy Scout Rule by Uncle Bob Check Your Code First before Looking to Blame Others by Allan Kelly Choose Your Tools with Care by Giovanni Asproni Code in the Language of the Domain by Dan North Code Is Design by Ryan Brush Code Layout Matters by Steve Freeman Code Reviews by Mattias Karlsson Coding with Reason by Yechiel Kimchi A Comment on Comments by Cal Evans Comment Only What the Code Cannot Say by Kevlin Henney Continuous Learning by Clint Shank Convenience Is not an -ility by Gregor Hohpe Deploy Early and Often by Steve Berczuk Distinguish Business Exceptions from Technical by Dan Bergh Johnsson Do Lots of Deliberate Practice by Jon Jagger Domain-Specific Languages by Michael Hunger Don’t Be Afraid to Break Things by Mike Lewis Don’t Be Cute with Your Test Data by Rod Begbie Don’t Ignore that Error!...

July 26, 2013 · 4 min · 831 words

📜 The first 90% of the code accounts for the first 90% of the

The first 90% of the code accounts for the first 90% of the development time. The remaining 10% of the code accounts for the other 90% of the development time. Tom Cargill, Bell Labs (the Ninety-ninety rule )

May 3, 2013 · 1 min · 38 words

🔗 Learnable Programming

Learnable Programming Programming is a way of thinking, not a rote skill. Learning about “for” loops is not learning to program, any more than learning about pencils is learning to draw. People understand what they can see. If a programmer cannot see what a program is doing, she can’t understand it. Excellent essay about programming “without blindfolds”.

October 23, 2012 · 1 min · 57 words