How to Change the World: Guy’s Golden Touch
“How can I get people to evangelize my product?”
The short answer is called “Guy’s Golden Touch.” You might think this means, “Whatever Guy touches turns to gold.” If only this were true. The actual definition is, “Whatever is gold, Guy touches.”
“What are the characteristics of a great product?”
- Deep. A great product is deep. It doesn’t run out of features and functionality after a few weeks of use. (…) As your demands get more sophisticated, you discover that you don’t need a different product.
- Indulgent. A great product is a luxury. It makes you feel special when you buy it. (…) deep down inside you know you’ve rewarded yourself when you buy a great product.
- Complete. A great product is more than a physical thing. Documentation counts. Customer service counts. Tech support counts. Consultants, OEMS, third-party developers, and VARS count. Blogs about it counts. A great product has a great total user experience—sometimes despite the company that produces it.
- Elegant. A great product has an elegant user interface. Things work the way you’d think they would. A great product doesn’t fight you—it enhances you. (…)
- Emotive. A great product incites you to action. It is so deep, indulgent, complete, and elegant that it compels you to tell other people about it. (…) You’re bringing the good news to help others, not yourself.